Many of you who are excited about the iKids: Parenting in the Digital Age have asked me what is the best way to share the book and its ideas with parents and adults working with children and youth. A great time to focus on this topic is between New Year’s and Ash Wednesday. It so happens there are six weeks during that time, so churches can think about doing a six week series of sermons, seminars, or offer small groups during that time. Here are five strategies you can use:
- Do a sermon series on Six Values for the Digital Age starting on January 11 and finishing on February 15 using the Six Values for the Digital Age Study Guide as your resource. Here are the topics and scriptures:
- January 11: Happiness – Psalm 1:1-3
- January 18: Wisdom – Proverbs 3:5-8, 13-18
- January 25: Hope – Psalm 71:5-6 & Romans 5:1-5
- February 1: Vision – Joel 2:28 & Revelation 7:16-17
- February 8: Identity – 1 Samuel 3:8-10, Luke 1:35-37, 2:46-51
- February 15: Faith – 2 Timothy 1:3-7
- Offer a Wednesday evening series using the same outline above starting on Wednesday, January 7th and finishing on February 11 (Ash Wednesday is February 18th).
- Give copies of iKids: Parenting in the Digital Age to your children’s and youth Sunday School teachers for Christmas and do a follow-up training on a Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon in January. Use the iKids Handout and Presentation Slides to share ideas from the book and have a discussion with them about what this means for the families in your congregation.
- Offer a parent’s event on Sunday, January 25th on the iKids and use the iKids Presentation Handout and Presentation Slides to share your ideas. This is the first football free Sunday since August, the week before the Super Bowl, so it’s a good time to offer a lunch and learning time after church.
- Offer a small group study or use the material in a Sunday School Class for parents using iKids: Parenting in the Digital Age and Six Values for the Digital Age.
iKids Resources you can share: